Today's guest on www.thorholt.com Write With Courage show guest is Martin Pashley. Martin has written for the Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times, Golf Illustrated and…Playboy.
Along with renowned Photographer James Cheadle, Martin is Co-founder of Union Magazine. What is Union Magazine you ask?
What is Union Magazine you ask? Good question! Union Magazine is an independent print magazine - main focus being subcultures – with in-depth journalism and superb photography from all over the world. The journal is aimed at the inquisitive ones that have a lust for life, knowledge and fringe culture.
They've featured stories on the underground black biker scene in Baltimore, National Socialists in Arizona, white squatter camps of South Africa, and Bikers sticking shopping trolleys up lamp posts…
On National Socialists in Arizona - We just want to hear their stories... after twenty minutes you just end up having beers with them and chewing the fat."
On Anjem Choudary - I just got the feeling he was trolling me!... You could imagine him as a radical Feminist or on the Alt-Right...He's just one of those people who was always going to be a firebrand about something."
On writing - If I can't think of a good opening, I just start in the middle of the story.
Today’s www.thorholt.com Write With Courage guest is Flemming Rose: Author of Tyranny of Silence… Flemming is a senior fellow at the Cato Institute in Washington DC, a Journalist, and Author. His latest book in English is Tyranny of Silence. After 14 years of working as a foreign correspondent in Russia and the USA, he returned home to Denmark in 2004 to pursue a more stable life!
Find out more about Flemming and his work http://www.tyrannyofsilence.net
- What is blasphemy to one man may sound as poetry to another man
- Making a newspaper is always the art of the possible!
- The point here is that context often gets lost in translation… the cartoons did not come out of the blue…it was not something I invented…
- We must Focus on the true original meaning of tolerance, not free speech
- It's a consequence of the digital world…creates possibility of misunderstandings and manipulations…and humor is always very context dependent! Even Charlie Hebdo will not be understood in the UK for instance even though UK and France are quite close countries placed in western Europe
- If this had happened 25 years ago we would not have had a cartoon crisis
- The fact that what is being published online… if it's online its immediately being published everywhere…- So for
- So for me, it's a question about how I see myself and who I want to be…what I believe in…then try to explain in a calm and rational way why I think it's fair to defend the publication of those cartoons and freedom of expression in a broader term.
- I was being accused of being intolerant by publishing those cartoons, and it turns out it is exactly the other way round… that tolerance is imposed not the one who draws a cartoon, but on the one who watches a cartoon! Tolerance means the ability to live with things you hate… Tolerance is something painful and difficult and has to be learned…we need to rediscover the true meaning of tolerance and we have to teach it in schools.
- In fact, by explaining tolerance and defending tolerance you make a very powerful defense of free speech
Today's www.thorholt.com Write With Courage guest is Kelly Baader. Kelly runs the Podcast, Godly M. B. A. Podcast (Marketing Beyond Ambition) which aims to provide Inspiring, Actionable, and Successful biblical marketing strategies and Life Applications over at www.kellybaader.com
Kelly is @kellybaader on Twitter.
- What is the (your) focus? Even if there are people out there who read the (your) book, or listen to the (your) podcast, that I (you) make a difference that day...then who's to say I (you) cannot do it?
Today’s www.thorholt.com Write With Courage guest is Peter Thomson... especially for those of you who write, but find making money from your writing to be a challenge… today's guest is The UK’s Most Prolific Information Product Creator… and a super live speaker and storyteller… check out his Achiever's Club http://www.theachieversclub.com
8 Books, 100 audio programmes, 100 video programmes. 18 tips booklets, 156 audio newsletters, 701 Ezines over the last 13+ years… And he’s never once suffered from writer’s block! Find out more http://www.PeterThomson.com
I’ve benefited from and still share things I’ve learned from Peter, years after first meeting him and attending one of his superb seminars...
A couple of my favorite Peter Thomson quotes
-You'll never consistently do who you aren't
-If you don’t ask, people can’t say yes…
And just wait till you hear which writer has had the most impact on him - controversial!
Today's guest on Write With Courage Podcast at www.thorholt.com is Independent Man. He's a skeptic, noise sifter, market watcher and dabbler and aspiring flaneur - that’s ‘a man who saunters around observing society‘ – yes I had to look that up!
Independent Man (@ on Twitter) only been producing scripts and recording political and social commentary for 10 months, yet has over 21,773 subscribers and close to 2 million channel views, despite operating in a niche topic area.
Checking out Independent Man on YouTube you will find he's made some videos on controversial topics, and we will explore why this means he doesn't use his real name (yet!)
Some examples of his Video titles:
‘ My Favourite Marxist’ (Mine too) Brendan O’Neill of SpikedOnline
‘BuzzFeed News is Cancer & Outrage Everywhere’
‘The State of Campus Free Speech’
His thoughts on freedom of speech - It's amazing to me that we live in this era when people are just so blasé about free speech... nearly everything else in western civilization is built on that free speech. On being able to disagree with someone without having to resort to violence.