Today's guest on www.thorholt.com is Sheikh Dr Muhammad Al-Hussaini. He’s a
Imam who famously defended so-called ‘hate’ Pastor James McConnell. Muhammad is a Senior Fellow in Islamic Studies at the Westminster Institute, and also runs a rather wonderful YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/muhammadalhussaini based around his passion of playing the Irish Fiddle and traditional sean-nós singing.
Catch him on Twitter @MYAlHussaini
Muhammad Al-Hussaini - I'm very committed to honesty because there's a huge trust deficit built up in the minds of western audiences.
- We must be able, through relationship to debate and discuss and disagree about stuff.
- I've not had problems from Muslims so much as from liberal white campaigners!
- the answer to bad speech is always better speech and more speech. It's important that we debate and discuss difficult texts within Islam and Judeo-Christian traditions. there's a real risk that the only solution we have, academic freedom, is being chipped away at. To debate and discuss and indeed to ridicule ideas.
Today's guest on www.thorholt.com Write With Courage show is Dr. Frank Furedi (@FurediByte) Frank is an Author, commentator, sociologist – he writes for SpikedOnline which is how I discovered him. Frank’s most recent book, What's Happened To The University? was published by Routledge on 17th oct 2016… he’s also done a very interesting TEDx talk, Dare to Know - which affirms the value of experimentation and risk.
Freedom and open debate is often seen as a threat, because when you exercise freedom it does have uncertain consequences.
Frank highly recommends, Areopagitica; A speech of Mr. John Milton for the Liberty of Unlicenc'd Printing, to the Parlament of England is a 1644 prose polemic by the English poet, scholar, and polemical author John Milton opposing licensing and censorship.
www.thorholt.com talks to Simone Rodan Benzaquen. Simone is AJC's Paris Director. She previously served as adviser to the Ambassador for Human Rights in the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. She holds a law degree from Kings College London, is currently working on her first book and has written for Le Figaro, Atlantico, Le Monde and Huffington Post.
On what is her life guiding force, Simone quoted ex-French President Mitterrand - You can't do anything against the will of one person!
On Jews life in France- anti-Semitism is obviously a problem for minorities, but at the end of the day it is a problem for all... if a democracy is incapable of defending its' minorities anymore, something is profoundly wrong.
www.thorholt.com guest today is Hunter Swogger. New Grad Hunter, is a writer (Heatstreet.com and Allthink.com) and proven viral video genius with upwards of 6.5 million direct views on one video alone and 30 + Million if ripped Facebook videos are included. Hunter’s Melania Trump Rick Roll video currently sits at 1,841,923 views. Hunter runs the swogblog at swogblog.me and also run’s Milo Yiannopoulos YouTube channel.
On speaking up as a college conservative - It is so freaking worth it to speak out. The vast majority of the left's power is in silencing you before you even start talking
On creating the Milo Yiannopoulos versus Julie Bindel debate at University of Michigan.
- I was in my senior year of engineering degree and was only taking 6 credits. I wanted something to go out on a bang with. That's how I found Milo. I was so happy to find Milo. Milo was such a complete firebrand and was causing such vitriol from the left. That's what you want, if you want to get attention to a cause you need to be entertainment first, content second, and substance second. And he (Milo) had the entertainment in the bag. And debates always seemed like the way to go for me... the platform of the debate had potential.
On social media shaming: Even if you're wrong, don't ever ever back down. These are evil people who want your life ripped apart... The perfect example of this is Mitt Romney versus Donald Trump.
On old-style conservatives: Their style of 'facts should win', just doesn't work. The formula of entertainment first, substance second has to be followed. That's a big mistake that conservatives always make. Liberals, the left has always had the entertainment industry and media. They've had all the entertainers foreever!
- Their style of 'facts should win', just doesn't work. The formula of entertainment first, substance second has to be followed. That's a big mistake that conservatives always make. Liberals, the left has always had the entertainment industry and media. They've had all the entertainers forever!